Cyprus

February 2015 -- Cyprus

I spent my winter break on the beautiful island of Cyprus. After landing in Larnaca, I spent a day walking that city and getting a feel for Cyprian life. Next, it was a bus to the Nicosia (aka Lefkosa), the heart of the island. I crossed the border into Turkish-controlled North Cyprus and took a microbus to Kyrenia (Girne), and then a taxi to the beautiful hillside village of Bellapais, which is famous for its monastery and for the book Bitter Lemons of Cyprus, which I haven't read since I couldn't find a copy. Here is a rainbow, seen from the monastery.



There is a wonderful-looking trail that crosses North Cyprus called the Kyrenia Mountain Trail but I couldn't walk more than a few meters of it -- perhaps some time in the future. Next, it was back to the south and the touristy town of Paphos, conveniently close to the rustic Akamas penninsula and gorge, which I was able to visit by bicycle.