Canary Islands

Canary Islands -- February 2013

For winter break, I flew with RyanAir (via a circuitous route, involving stops in Frankfurt, Milan, and London) to the beautiful, warm Canary Islands. I flew into Gran Canaria and based myself in Las Palmas. The islands are beautiful, and a perfect destination for a wandering tourist like myself.


I took a bus to the island's interior and spent a day and a half hiking along the Camino de Santiago that has been establish on the island. The trail markings were rare, but the walking was superb -- albeit wet.


During the second half of the week, I took a ferry to the volcanic island of Lanzarote, where I explored Arrecife and took a day trip to the beautiful island of Graciosa. La Graciosa is largely nature reserves, but a series of foot- and bicycle-paths allows visitors to get around the island. The beaches on this island were probably my favourite.