Spain

October 2011 -- On the Camino with Dad in Northern Spain

My father was undertaking a post-retirement hike on the Camino de Santiago, so I flew to Spain on a week off to catch up and walk with him for a few days. I spent the first and last days in Madrid, where the highlight was the beautiful collection at the Museo del Prado. But as vibrant as Madrid is, I preferred the serene towns of the country.


I met Dad near Ponferrada, in a pretty village called Villafrana del Bierzo. It was a bit touch-and-go for a couple hours: we'd agreed about a week before to meet at the bus stop, but I had no way to know whether he'd kept to his schedule, and he had no way to know whether I'd caught my flights and buses. Ultimately, we met in the village plaza -- it turned out there were two bus stops.


My father and I walked together for three fantastic days. Our second night was at O Cebreiro, a gorgeous but drafty antique town guarding the entrance to Galicia.


I left my father in Sarria. He finished the Camino with a rainy dash into Santiago de Compostela and a peregrino service at the cathedral.

Advice: Some time in your life, take a month off and hike the Camino de Santiago.